"The Coulmn" Issue 4, the "I Can't Think Of A Funny Title Right Now," Issue.

Discussion in 'Forum Newspaper' started by Twitchy, Dec 1, 2010.

1. Twitchy Super Moderator | Hub Team Co-Leader | Storyteller

Hey, still-not-sure-if-loyal readers! Today is Entertainment. Mark that on your calenders, Wednesday is Entertainment. So, in this issue we've got some game news (delivered by myself) and a manga review by our new Ent. columnist, SilenceIsGolden, who shall henceforth be referred to as Silence. She's written a review of "Jojo's Bizarre Adventure." So, let's move on to the news!

--------------------------------------------------

GAMING COLUMN, WEEK 2

Probably the most impressive gaming related news right now, the United States Air Force has combined 1,760 Playstation 3s into a single super-computer. If this sounds familiar, that's because it is. This was announced as early as February, and has just now been made real. The Air Force has placed this makeshift super-computer in the Air Force Research Laboratory. It's also been named the Condor Cluster, and is estimated to have only cost 5-10% of building a super-computer from an individual components to create the same amount of power. The Condor Cluster is going to be used for creating artificial intelligence programs as well as sonar.

If you're anticipating Bioware's new MMO, Star Wars: The Old Republic, then you're going to have to wait a few more months. Originally shooting for Q1 2011 release, the game has been pushed back into fiscal 2012. Now before you freak out and start screaming about waiting a whole additional year, know that fiscal years begin in April. So, fiscal 2012 actually begins in April 2011. This means April is the absolute earliest we will see this game, though my own personal speculation rests with a summer release.

Christopher Nolan began talking about an Inception game back in September, and with the film's DVD and Blu-ray release next week, the director has spoken more on the game. He says that games are "something I've wanted to explore," and that he's currently working with an unnamed team building the Inception video game. The director says that he's always imagined Inception as a world where many stories could take place. Simple logic concludes it's possible we won't be seeing Cobb and his gang in the game.

Remember that talk about a Playstation Phone? It's allegedly been seen in public. Really all there is is a fuzzy video with a pretty phone, and it's difficult to see any features apart from a touch-screen. Reports say it's being called the Sony Ericsson Z1, and sports a 4 inch touch screen, while running Android 3.0. When questioned about authenticity, Engadget backs their sources, calling the video 100% legit. Later, Sony Ericsson CEO Bert Nordberg made the statement, "There's a lot of smoke, and I tell you there must be a fire somewhere." Obviously, not a confirmation, but far from a denial.

-Lord Twitchy, of whom is currently unequipped with smart, witty remarks about his audience.

---------------------------------------------------

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure Manga Review:

Story: 10/10
    Art: 9/10
    Characters: 7/10
    Designs: 8/10
    Settings: 9/10
    Originality: 9.6/10

The title says alot of what it is;
    The main characters are named Jojo
    The manga is Bizarre
    And he/she goes on an Adventure

But there's pleanty more to the story than just that (as expected), the story follows every other member of the Joestar Bloodline starting with Jonathan Joestar (JoJo). Each Jojo has their own venture for some important reason (rather it be calling, mistake, or destiny) although no story in this chain of tales ends too well. It's a Seinen manga (and a very graphic one at that) and is not intended for the kiddies; there are large ammounts of language and gore (examples are a cat being mutilated and a mother eating her own child); it is also lacking in the 'ever-so-expected sexual jokes/fanservice' department that we've grown so accustomed (and resistant) to but the story is overall original in context. The story is never just something that is scribbled down and then sold; there is no filler, no useless part of the story and you know that everything is carefully thought out and drawn before it hits your eyes.

Each person is designed differently and each landscape isn't half-assed printings (everything is hand-drawn) although the art is considered hideous by most people (although I find it beautifully detailed)
    It doesn't look like most anime: they do have noses, they don't have huge eyes, they actually have bone structure, and look closer to actual people than almost any manga you've ever seen.

They have very unique characters met by a handful of knockoffs (such as a character whose backstory is an exsact copy as the main character from the book, 'Holes'). Nonetheless, Araki has a bad way of murdering off an unbelievably large portion of his character leading to some tear-jerking and fist-pounding moments towards how horrific each character's deaths are (by the end of an Arc, only about 3 or 4 out of 40+ characters will be alive).

Araki has done more bookwork and traveling than most people have in their lives to be able to pull all this off but; in all of the lands in which a Jojo travels in any timezone (it being England in the 1880's or America in the 1920's), everything is very correct in terms of mood, thought, action, and reaction for that time and place.

This is not a very simple "Let's fight!" or a giggly "I love you" manga; It is full of content that doesn't hold as strong to the whole "Love and Peace will rule all" and "Everything will turn out alright" Motto of your average everyday shonen/shojo manga. There are times where you will laugh (it's not an incredibly serious manga) but you will also think and understand the realworld concepts it holds such as how people really work mentally, emotionally, and phisically.
    This is a truely beautiful work of art filled with mixed emotions that I hope you can enjoy. No matter how old it is, it never fails to entertain me in any way.

-SilenceIsGolden

-----------------------------------------------------

Issue 4, everybody!
  2. Kaoru Hitachiin Fenrir Wielder

And now for my little addition.

----------

Entertainment Editorial: The New Art

There are people who don't consider games art, but I would argue that these people are judging by the subjective quality of good versus bad art rather than judging it as a creative medium. While I respect Roger Ebert, the top-tier film critic, I would consider him one of these foolish people. Art is a creative outlet that can make you feel something. While you can play a game and fail to see the creativity or feel anything you find pleasant, that doesn't mean it wasn't created or that it makes everyone feel nothing. After all, anything can inspire anyone, and if someone is inspired by that something, then that something has some form of artistic value, whether or not you, personally, can see it. I consider his views on the subject of games as art as uninformed as a politician with the policy of truth-telling, they have never been intimately involved and never will. Such people should just stick to what they are familiar with. Sorry Ebert, but if you're not going to go all the way and see what good games are about, then the gaming industry has nothing to discuss with you.

Nevertheless, I will reply to Mr. Ebert without a doubt that video games already are Art, and have been since maybe the conception of gaming. The art of video games, of course, is something Mister Ebert can never understand until he considers the fact that just being able to interact with something can make it art. When you have interaction, you personally become involved in what is happening. Interaction is what defines video games, and separates them from any other form of media. I suppose Mr. Ebert is just not familiar with interaction, having to sit down in theaters, judging a dying medium. In a way, you can't help but feel sorry for Mister Ebert. Here he is, criticizing a dying medium, one that he can't effect because he is not a director, as much as he may want to be. I mean, he is a screenwriter, but I haven't seen or heard of anything he's done and chances are, if I did, I wouldn't call it art.

On a more positive note, Ebert said, near the end of a most likely PR-driven apology to the game design industry, 'I thought about those works of Art (his favorite films) that had moved me most deeply. I found most of them had one thing in common: Through them I was able to learn more about the experiences, thoughts and feelings of other people. My empathy was engaged. I could use such lessons to apply to myself and my relationships with others. They could instruct me about life, love, disease and death, principles and morality, humor and tragedy. They might make my life more deep, full and rewarding.
    Not a bad definition, I thought.'

It is by this definition that I judge art, and it is by this definition, Mr. Ebert, that I find games, most definitely, as art. It is through games like Shin Megami Tensei that I want to learn about other cultures, mythologies, folk tales, and religions. It is through the Fallout series that I have learned that choices make waves that echo through time and space and morality is rarely black and white, and it is through games in general that I have learned that everyone reacts differently. Games are an exercise in using freedom to deliver messages, stories, and experiences in a way that more personally involves them, and it is this intense personal involvement that gives them value.

- Jon Skinner (aka, Kaoru Hitachiin)
  3. Yoyo Mr. Captain America

Excellent work guys though to borrow a phrase from Karou, that i think aptly applies to the situation, "Skimmed Through like a Boss" but probably more even hardcore than that.

Now i'm 14 minutes late to class so i'll catch you guys later.