Suggestion That revamp thread that someone was going to make.

Discussion in 'Forum Issues' started by Alex, Apr 30, 2013.

1. Tev True Keyblade Wielder

Um, you're explaining this to someone that actually rates these sites. Maybe in 06 it was just simple algorithms, but there's jobs to do it by actual people now. I can link to three of them off the top of my head. In 06, yea, it would do great with url, but nowadays raters actually do look at the content and if the url doesn't match the site, it's not very good. It's not crucial, but it's not good. If there's no CPanel, that doesn't really change anything about what I said should be done in that area. Google doesn't look at your content, but people do. I don't expect you to believe me, but I know what I'm preaching.

Also, I won't be the one to make any of these changes. You or someone with root are a crucial part of it, Alex. But if no one wants to do it, then don't. You made it clear you don't want to move away from this URL/focus, so I would call this revamp plan null and void and you guys can come up with something else.
  2. Alex Administrator

The whole purpose of this thread was to discuss options. A revamp does not insinuate a complete change. If we are going to change the URL etc, we might as well just create a new site.
  3. Tev True Keyblade Wielder

Do as you please, I offered a suggestion. Anyone else wants to offer one, they can.
  4. Alex Administrator

And I appreciated your suggestions. Hopefully we can find some compromise to suit all rather than just one way?
    Axizol likes this.
  5. Blade Gargoyle Warrior

I agree with Alex,

A URL change should completely be out of the question. We're talking about all of his SEO work down the drain, his affiliates etc... that's basically starting over from scratch. Alex spent a lot of time and effort on the URL that you guys have, be grateful that he is even trying to make thing's better. Also no cpanel? ouch.
  6. Tev True Keyblade Wielder

who said I wasn't grateful? I mean, I even stated earlier that it would be a lot of work getting back up into what he had. He did it in 6 months didn't he? Better than dying off in 6 months. And yes, the strategy I gave you essentially is starting over, but I don't see what you could have possibly thought I meant when I said new focus.

But like I said, he can do what he wants. It's his site. I just offered a suggestion. Anyone else here can offer something if they so wish.
    Blade likes this.
  7. Misty Fortune Teller

To be honest cPanel access has never seemed like a big deal to me. Simple FTP access is enough to do most regular website tasks (the rest through XenForo's ACP). You might need the odd database access now and again but that can be handled by simply open communication lines between the site's staff and whoever maintains the server.

That's for the usual things, of course, if there are really huge changes in the works then obviously more is required. But as it seems the site already has some kind of CMS on kingdomhearts3.net and forum software on kingdomhearts3.org, so FTP access is all that would be required for most tasks if security is a concern... (though tbh, you shouldn't hire admins you don't trust with server access).
    Alex likes this.
  8. Blade Gargoyle Warrior

That's the problem Misty, sure you don't need CPanel but cpanel is a pretty simple system even to those who are noobs. That's why not having it is a bit troublesome to those who don't even know the alternative to cpanel. It's easy to mess up some files in FTP, I have seen it on other forums. The staff on here are great though so giving them the information rather then someone who has no idea what they're talking about should be the way to go. After all they have us for help when it comes to navigation.
    Alex likes this.
  9. Alex Administrator

Music to my ears!!
    Misty likes this.
  10. Misty Fortune Teller

Oh I don't disagree that cPanel is a pretty simple system, but if your server guru doesn't need it, he doesn't need it. Installing it could complicate things for him, especially if he's not familiar with its backend (the frontend is dead simple, you're right).

A cPanel license for a dedicated server is $425/year. Now I'm not sure if the host offers any cPanel plans, but it's an additional cost that may not really even be necessary.
    Blade likes this.