Steam General |We welcome our eternal sales overlords|

Discussion in 'Other Video Games' started by Mr. Heywood, Jun 24, 2012.

1. Mr. Heywood Site Staff | Review Team Leader

[IMG]

What is Steam?

It is a "digital distribution, digital rights management, multiplayer and communications platform" as wikipedia would describe it. Unlike other digital distribution services for the PC, Steam combined its digital distribution with community features such as messenger, voice chat and multiplayer powered by its services.

What is so great about Steam?

Put it simply, if you are a PC gamer, then Steam is THE best place to for your video game purchases. You will hear many PC gamers that will say "If it's not on Steam, not buying" and that is because Steam has provided the best support for PC gamers, bar none. Your games are always tied to your account, you can log into as many PC as possible with your account, download the game and have little issues (unless some third party company uses a different DRM like Securom and Steam can't be faulted for that) with running it.

The only other distribution place that could compare to Steam is GOG (Good Old Games, though now it's just GOG) and the benefit GOG has is its DRM-free feature, meaning you can download the game many times on many computers. But for the latest games, you can do no wrong with Steam.

And as you all been hearing, it has Steam Sales. Best games goes on sale, knocking from as little as 20% to a whopping 90%.

Hell, if you have friends, you can gift these games to them. That is awesome, right? And if you aren't sure about buying games yet, there are a wealth of Free to Play games like Team Fortress 2.

But I don't want to be always connected to the Internet. Any way to play my games without needed to be connected?

You can. Make sure all your games are updated, then log into Offline Mode. Bam, done. You can now play your games offline if you are on a plane, car or the middle of nowhere and your grandparents have never heard of the Internet.

But what if I don't want Steam?

You do not want Steam, even after all the wonderful things I told you about? Sure, you do not have to use Steam. But many games under the banner of Bethesda, Square-Enix and 2KGames all started to use Steamworks. That means you cannot play the likes of Skyrim, Deus Ex Human Revolution or even Bioshock Infinite in the future as they all need Steam to run. Legitimately.

You can avoid Steam, but more and more games are beginning to use Steamworks and it's because it is the DRM that gamers like because of the wealth of benefits that comes with it.

HEY, I HAVE STEAM? CAN I ADD YOU?

Sure. In fact, this is the list of people that have Steam.

Chrono Mizaki(Steam Username: Ammish)
    Gentleman John (Steam Username: Gailardios)
    Prompto (Steam Username: IndieJockey)
    matrixQuestioner (Steam Username: Lewdasity)
    Dion (Steam Username: Dionibus)
    PartyPoison(Steam Username: Phobophobicity)
    Xatyrn (Steam Username: Xatyrn)
    Twitchy (Steam Username: twitchy724)

Enjoy~
  2. IndieJocky Forum Counselor

I was wondering why this hasn't been made. I'm glad you did it Ammar. But seriously, Steam is the best thing to ever happen to gaming ever.

My Steam Username is IndieJocky. Go ahead and add me if you'd like.
    Mostly use Steam to play Portal 1/2, Bastion, Amnesia, Limbo, Lone Survivor, and Star Wars: KotOR
  3. John Review Team Co-Leader

I'm loveing you even more lol.

I have steam but i haven't really used it....though again i would only use it for Kotor as well

My steam is Aquas_sacrifice......or just search Gailardios....either way
  4. Lasci Fenrir Wielder

Save for the myriad of purchases that I've made for the PC before Steam was anything but a really shitty way to play CS:Souroce and (not) play CoD with Punkbuster, I get everything save for the more obscure indie titles on Steam.

But, yeah. Does anyone remember Punkbuster? There was a time where I refused to buy a game if I had to play it on Steam.
  5. matrixQuestioner SSFW 2nd Place Champion

This year seems to be the year my computer becomes out-of-date so i really haven't been able to buy anything new off of steam and won't be able to for a while but I do have a few games

Steam ID = Lewdasity

Also, I have Terraria... Anyone else got it? :O
  6. Mr. Heywood Site Staff | Review Team Leader

I have. Me and Kayam tried playing together, but lots of hassle ;-;
  7. Dion Clan God - Serenity Kingdom

Steam ID: Dionibus
  8. matrixQuestioner SSFW 2nd Place Champion

It really isn't TOO much of a hassle.
    Port-forwarding isn't too hard. I would totes do it but my router literally won't let me. I get all these errors.
  9. Xatyrn SK Shepherd | KH3 Remnant

I'M GLAD YOU MADE THIS, because I saw 4chan going lalala over Steam but I never bothered to really understand the site. :O Gracias senorammar.

edit: I GUESS I'LL SIGN UP. As Xatyrn. I probably won't ever do much though. C:
  10. Phobophobic Fluffy Chinchilla

PartyPoison(Steam Username: Phobophobicity)