Splash of Reality, Issue 1 - "Have we found ET?"

Discussion in 'Forum Newspaper' started by Xatyrn, Nov 30, 2010.

1. Xatyrn SK Shepherd | KH3 Remnant

This is Xatyrn posting the first issue of her new column, Splash of Reality, for the KH3 Forum Newspaper.
    I'll be doing weekly articles, hopefully posting at earlier times.

-------------
    Splash of Reality – “Have we found ET?”

Space, the "Final Frontier." Man has been exploring it for decades, and now NASA has something new to say about it. It is well known that NASA has been undergoing quite a few changes as they have been laying off workers by the hundreds, and soon the United States will be paying Russia to launch astronauts into space, in what will soon be the most expensive taxi ride ever. With the rapidly upcoming launch of the shuttle "Discovery" no later than December 17, they still appear to have their hands full.

Now NASA has declared they will hold a news conference on Thursday that will discuss “an astrobiology finding that will impact the search for evidence of extraterrestrial life.” No one knows for sure what NASA is going to reveal, but there are many ideas circulating, such as signs of life on Mars, or something pertaining to the discovery of the layer of atmosphere on Saturn’s moon, Rhea, containing oxygen and carbon dioxide.

The news conference will be shown live on NASA Television on the NASA website at 2 P.M. EST on Thursday, December 2nd. Participating in the conference will be Mary Voytek, Felisia Wolfe-Simpson, and Pamela Conrad, all of whom are affiliated with NASA and the field of astrobiology, along with Steven Benner of the Foundation for Applied Molecular Evolution, and James Elser, a professor from Arizona State University. There is no word on how long the conference shall last.

-Xatyrn, Journalist, KH3 Writing Club
  2. Yoyo Mr. Captain America

Though i'm not terribly curious at this news or excited, it might finally put to a end that debate about evolution. Other than that, I'm probably going to forget to watch this tomorrow lol.
  3. Solana Problem Sleuth | ENT Co-Leader

I have to admit, this is better than the news.
    I'm just wondering what we would do if we foubd life on Rhea or Mars
  4. Xatyrn SK Shepherd | KH3 Remnant

<3 :3
    Nameless fixed some things up for me so that it'd sound better, trust me. XD But I'm learning as I gooo.
    And...if we did...things would get crazy. Many people out there wouldn't believe it though, I'm sure. Others, like the people who believe the world is going to end in 2012, would think up their own crazy ideas. I suppose it depends on how solid the evidence was, too.

I probably will forget, too... wait, I have school. :wat:
    Anyway, I figured most wouldn't find this news to be super exciting. I'll try to find something a bit more so next time, but that depends on what happens out there in the big world. (:
  5. Yoyo Mr. Captain America

Its quite fine and now that i think about it, i will be checking it out.
  6. Xatyrn SK Shepherd | KH3 Remnant

So of course I wasn't home for the conference, but stuff has been posted about it. X3
    For anyone who may be wondering about this, there's a lake in California that's really toxic with high levels of arscenic, a poisonous metallic element. Scientists have discovered bacteria that live in the lake and thrives on arscenic.
    A guy said (copying and pasting quote), "Maybe there are places elsewhere in our solar system ... where arsenic is more prevalent, and microbes can not only make a living on it but are more composed of it."
    And the following is from an article I read about it:
    There was a lot more to the article, but that's the basic stuff. Everyone was suspecting a discovery from space, but it turns out we found something in our own backyard.
  7. Dion Clan God - Serenity Kingdom

that's some awesome shiz, now if only the bacteria grew to the same size as humans, then i could say, "I TOLD YOU SO!"
  8. wesonewee Guardian Soul Wielder

That's amazing, simply amazing- They should take a Human DNA strand and mix it with this one and see if it turns out anything like a Modern day human. This means that life is out there somewhere.
  9. Xatyrn SK Shepherd | KH3 Remnant

It may be a while until they can go straight to combining this stuff with human DNA--but something similar to this is bound to be experimented with. I mean, we've already created artificial life. (You all heard about that, right? XD) 'Twas recent, but proves how far sceince has come.
  10. wesonewee Guardian Soul Wielder

By Creating Artifical Life, do you mean like, Cloning or Robots or did Scientists literally use chemicals to make a new Cell species?