Science Watch, Issue 1 - "Sky Candy"

Discussion in 'Forum Newspaper' started by Xatyrn, Dec 10, 2010.

1. Xatyrn SK Shepherd | KH3 Remnant

Science Watch - Sky Candy
    From now on, I will be posting news from the world of science in my new column, the Science Watch.
    ---------
    Look to the skies this December: there will be diamonds in the sky—just no Lucy. As each year comes to a close, meteors hurtle toward Earth’s atmosphere. Obviously they’re harmless, for they burn up on contact, but the effect is a beautiful sight of hundreds of shooting stars streaking through the night sky. This annual shower, called the Geminid, is named for the constellation Gemini, which is the cluster of stars in which the meteors appear to be shooting from.

This night time show will best be seen on December 14, but can still be witnessed weeks before and after. There have already been accounts of people catching sight of a ball of light streaming across the sky. One person interviewed about the meteor shower said, “I’ve never seen anything so large and so close. I’ve seen shooting stars, but this was quite spectacular because it was so large.”

This isn’t the only eye candy in the sky that we’re being treated to, either. On December 21, as the winter solstice arrives, a full lunar eclipse will hang high above our heads at night. A lunar eclipse is when Earth casts its shadow on the moon as our planet orbits directly between the moon and sun. There are about two that occur in a year, each being 6 months apart; therefore, it’s something most people desire to try to catch sight of.

The lunar eclipse will be available from all of North and South America, northern and western parts of Europe, and a small part of northeast Asia; it will be viewable from 2:40 to 3:53 a.m., EST. Let’s hope for a cloudless night!

Since only a small portion of our members live in the Eastern Standard Time zone, some of you may be curious to what time the lunar eclipse will be viewable where you are. Post a message with your time zone, and I'd be happy to edit this post with the time. ^_^
  2. Tyler Durden SSFW I and II Team Winner

Is the Geminad a global event? I read tonight from midnight to dawn tomorrow is the prime viewing time && I told a few friends... but they'll be very disappointed if it doesn't actually happen. >:
  3. Xatyrn SK Shepherd | KH3 Remnant

I did some research and haven't found anything that mentions any part of the world where it won't be viewable. You should be able to view it just fine, as long as the night is fairly clear...
    I think it's going to be pretty cloudy where I am, so I dunno if I'll get to see it. ):
  4. Dion Clan God - Serenity Kingdom

So wait ... Is that Midnight TONIGHT?!
  5. Xatyrn SK Shepherd | KH3 Remnant

Yes. XD Cold as heck, but I guess I'm bundling up and going outside anyway.
  6. Dion Clan God - Serenity Kingdom

I can see the sky from my window!! ^_^

But it's snowing really badly here ... >_>
  7. Xatyrn SK Shepherd | KH3 Remnant

Well most people can. XD
    But there's a better, larger view of the sky when you're standing right outside. :3
    Yeah, it's going to snow some tonight, and the clouds haven't really let up much all day... but they're supposed to be large and bright. Maybe I'll catch sight of something...
  8. Twitchy Super Moderator | Hub Team Co-Leader | Storyteller

Well, crap. I was kind of looking forward to it, but my sky is covered in clouds for as far as the eye can see.
  9. Xatyrn SK Shepherd | KH3 Remnant

Lunar eclipse tonight, guys.
    Just a reminder for anyone who wanted to see it. ^_^
  10. Dion Clan God - Serenity Kingdom

I saw the last one and took pictures of it. Some turned out good. >_>