Let's talk about goals.

Discussion in 'Personal Forum' started by Misty, May 11, 2013.

1. Misty Fortune Teller

( live live live i want to know about y'all )

I have recently had it drilled into my head by a new acquaintance who moonlights as a motivational speaker the importance of goals: setting them for yourself, long & short term alike. I am not sure if it has sunk in much as he would like but all the same, it has left me curious.

What are your goals? Is there something you've saving up for? A big aspiration of yours? Something you would like to do before you snuff it? Or do you find setting goals for yourself ridiculous or outside your nature. Let's hear it~
  2. Dylan? Nobody Destroyer

I don't understand how people operate under normal human circumstances without some sort of goal, subtle, overt, to motivate them. Some goals, ultimate ones, are even subconscious and unrecognizable to the human psyche, built into us (see: all males do everything, every single thing, with the end goal of getting a mate and procreating. Instincts, man).

But I think goals are a healthy and normal way to internalize yourself, ritualize yourself without the kind of negative connotation that "ritual" would usually bring. Setting goals and providing oneself with motivation are entertaining as well as rewarding, especially in the long run when you can look back upon it when setting a new one for yourself. "Yeah, if I could do that, what's stopping me from this?"

People who say they don't have goals aren't aware that nearly every decision they make and action they initiate are fueled by some form of immediate or prolonging end in mind. Not to mention scoring goals in soccer is like, the ultimate sporting achievement.

This is the second time this week I've misinterpreted a thread title.

completely forgot to say. Currently my goals are:

- begin reading genuinely good novels, Pride and Prejudice, Catch 22, Lolita, East of Eden, Atlas Shrugged, goes on.
    - properly begin and finish this short story I'm working on (a very exciting project, I'm surprised how nice it actually is to do).
    - there's a 5k happening this July, so I'm running daily to prepare for that.
    - a fourth thing that I'm forgetting but I'm sure it's essential to me getting some becoming a better person.

I try to augment my day to accommodate a wide and generally unbreaking and concentrated chain of things so I can keep myself in 'the flow'. Otherwise the motivation can easily funnel away. And then I feel like a wet towel in an empty swimming pool.
  3. John Review Team Co-Leader

my goal atm is to just continue my schooling, I wanna get better at drawing and graphic design in general so yeah. Speaking of which, passed all my classes so wooo!
    Solana likes this.
  4. Zai Nobody Destroyer

I shuffle along every day. Generally though, my main goal in life is a quest to figure out the mystery behind how the words good novel and Atlas Shrugged could be used in the same sentence.
  5. Zombie Girl Super Undead | Debate Champ | Editor

I don't really go in for goals, I'm not good at coping with disappointment, I just sort of plod along.

ALTHOUGH I do need something to look forward to, my goal currently is to pass my first year exams so I can be a second year. (A tiny part of me also really hopes to get a 1st so I can be a scholar, because I got a 1st in mock exam, doubt this will happen though)
  6. Xatyrn SK Shepherd | KH3 Remnant

I guess I have an abundance of things I want to do and accomplish, some that are actual goals and others that I don't tag as goals in my mind...but technically they are. Like,

This is a thing, for sure. I mean I already stick to higher merited novels, but I just haven't had time to read with the closing of school. But now I have all the time. Also finishing Lolita, which you mentioned there -- was halfway through it when I stopped for no real reason except I was reading it on a Kindle; makes it harder for me to pick it back up and read.

Also writing again. I need to start writing again.

Clean my damn room for once.
    Maybe attempt keeping a fish. -_-

More long term stuff is just...not killing over at the start of college this fall. Going through with my major or at least something, SOMETHING, that will make me happy.
  7. Courtland True Keyblade Wielder

I really want to live in New York when I get older. But I'm kinda afraid it might not happen. Long and expensive commute back to Oklahoma for the holidays.
    BUT, it's also a goal of mine to either snag a role on Broadway, or become a cliche writer living in New York(now you see why New York is so important).
    This summer I'm going to start running, and I might be able to convince my friend who runs to help me out. Which would be good, and much more eventful than a solo run.
    I'm ALSO planning on sticking with Tennis throughout the rest of my highschool career. Quit in the eighth grade, and started really regretting it this year. So that's another thing I'll be doing this summer.
    ALSO, finding something to tell people I want to do with my life that is both interesting and sounds fun. People in my town don't exactly understand the whole Broadway dream, or writing. So yeah.
    And also finding a good college, preferably near/in NYC, to attend in a few years. 'Cause yeah, what better way to kick off life, and decide if living in the big city is for me, than college?
  8. Jess Admin

I generally have a lack of goals and thus a lack of direction, probably not helpful for my disposition. i'm struggling to exist at the moment, and goals would certainly help. My one goal at the moment,
    —save money, to travel, save money to travel.

Others include,
    —be normal, interact, interact please and leave the house
    —read again. you miss reading so read again
    —sing again. play music again, listen to music again
    —write again. write again please
    —your enlarger is broken but it needs to be fixed
    —paint the bookshelf.

Varying degrees of importance, indeed.
  9. Bekki Heartless Slayer

Travel is definitely one of mine for this year. I couldn't make New York happen in the past, but I definitely will this year. Hopefully for Christmas! =) I already achieved one of my 2013 goals by buying my ultimate dream car, so that's something ticked off. But like others have said, I am one of those people that just lives life day by day. From now up until Christmas, there is nothing decisive I'd like to see happen.....except maybe meet my future husband, that would be nice. :)
    John and Jess like this.
  10. Solana Problem Sleuth | ENT Co-Leader

To become a secondary education teacher. That's all I really want in life.

and to have a job so I can have a kick-ass summer next year
    John likes this.