Idea: The Other Author

Discussion in 'RPG' started by Zotar, Jun 4, 2012.

1. Zotar Twilight Thorn

A man in a coma dreams of a story, a story where strange travelers explore his lands, the imaginary dreamscapes of his mind where his subconscious fears are given faces, and the forces of Heaven and Hell do battle. A malevolence force threatens to steal his soul, the soul of a dreamer, and the gifts of a creator.

My Idea is this: The players would take the roles as strange travelers who find themselfs facing unimaginable horrors all the while trying to help another who is trapped within his own dreams.

I had noticed that the Horror section of RPG's is somewhat devoid, and I would like to attempt to manage one there. So this is my idea. I suppose I would assume the role of the "Dreamer."
  2. AnsemDiz Monochrome Wielder

As the dreamer, you would have to create the horrific events in which us (the travelers) would have to survive.
  3. Zotar Twilight Thorn

Yup. I think I can write creepy enough, so long as the others read the screen with the lights turned off and the windows open at night.

One thing though, I would have to put definite limits on what players can do, sometimes fear is about limitations.

What are your thoughts?
  4. AnsemDiz Monochrome Wielder

So it'd be kind of like when Cyborg and Beast Boy entered into Raven's mind through the magic mirror. Now the players will be realistic, I assume, but you (because it's a dream after all) can create the wildest horrific fantasy events, right?
  5. Zotar Twilight Thorn

Well when you put it that way it sounds an awful lot like god-modding...

The way I see it: The writer and the characters are dependent upon each other for the story to progress. With out characters, the story has no direction, and without writing, the characters have no context. The player/moderator dichotomy would be the same. Someone has to be a mod, as long as he isn't a jerk about it. And for a Horror story to work, all of the main characters have to have limits otherwise they'd just blast away the scary monstors with a "laser". The "Dreamer" as I would portray him, has no control over the world he creates thus making him a limited character and every bit in jeopardy as those with him.
  6. AnsemDiz Monochrome Wielder

? ... ... Oh I wasn't trying to be negative. Sorry if I came across that way. I was seriously just asking to be sure.
  7. Zotar Twilight Thorn

That's okay, I was arguing more with myself anyways. :lawl:

Do you think others might enjoy this project?
  8. AnsemDiz Monochrome Wielder

Hmm... I don't know. Horror, as you've seen, is uninhabitted. it might as well be a haunted horror house, waiting to be a horror filled mansion. ... Although, the challenge of survivng situations that come at random seems interesting. Almost like SSFW except you're working together instead of fighting eachother
  9. Zotar Twilight Thorn

I miss SSFW. I only got to participate once and that was on another forum. And I got Tired of waiting for it to start up when I submitted Drizzt Do'Urden as my character.

I supposed this forum could use something new.

I'd love to see a survival horror thread take off, I might as well start one.
  10. AnsemDiz Monochrome Wielder

Well people? What do y'all think?