English language help

Discussion in 'RPG' started by Miss Lockheart, Sep 16, 2008.

1. Miss Lockheart Administrator | Aesthetics Leader | Mother

Let me help you with your RPing!!!

I hope this thread will be really helpful. The purpose of this thread is to provide a place where people can discuss and ask for help with any aspect of their language. This is in order for you to become better and more creative RPers, as a good grasp of language is key to making a good RPG or competing succesfully in any of the competitions. In this thread you may discuss-

- Spelling: any spellings that you would like to verify or perhaps discuss differences in spellings of different countries. Lists of different spellings of words can also be submitted so it will be clear which are acceptable.

- Grammar: this is one that I particularly see people struggling with. Any questions on correct grammar can be submitted here, in order to make your sentences and paragraphs easier to read and more acceptable to judges.

- Punctuation: not to be overlooked. Enquire within about the correct use of symbols and punctuation.

- Creativity: a lot of people have been asking me how they can use language to make their RPs flow and also make them much more interesting to a reader. This can be discussed here. Also meanings of decorative and sensationalized words can be submitted and discussed, as these add flavour to your writing.

- Flow: let's help things flow better in general!!!

Any questions can also be PMd to myself if you wish to, I don't mind that. But I do hope people will make use of this thread to avoid the same question being asked several times, that way people can just look up the answer here.
  2. TwilightGuardian True Keyblade Wielder

you forgot to put the : after the subjects XD unless you can do it that way
  3. Miss Lockheart Administrator | Aesthetics Leader | Mother

Lol I think it's fine that way, but I'll do that if it makes it easier to read ;)

Also I hope people who don't speak English as their first language will find this helpful.
  4. Lord Firesnake Clan Committee | Retired Staff

brake: to stop a car,bicycle etc
    break: short pause, damage

many of you people need this
    (sorry Sam I just had to do this)
  5. TwilightGuardian True Keyblade Wielder

yeah learn your synanims or however its spelled you get my point
  6. Tyler Durden SSFW I and II Team Winner

there - to specify an area or idea
    their - to speficy ownership
    they're - they are.

mhm hm. i decided to post that too.

>.>
  7. Miss Lockheart Administrator | Aesthetics Leader | Mother

Synonyms ^^

Good points people. Also I must point out-

Achieve

Believe

Receive

Don't get your is and es mixed up. I've seen somebody spell chief as "cheif" and it annoyed me greatly ¬_¬
  8. Roxas 1994 <b><font color="yellow">SSFW I - First Place Champ

As my teacher told me before, there is always a "lie" in "believe".

That might help those who spell "believe" wrong.
  9. NappyBoy2I5 Shadow

"i" before "e" except after "c"
  10. Miss Lockheart Administrator | Aesthetics Leader | Mother

Yup, with a few pointless exceptions, as you always get with the English language :SWEAT:

SOLILIQUY- (plural soliloquies)

1. (drama) The act of a character speaking to himself so as to reveal his thoughts to the audience
    At the end of the second act the main villain gave a soliloquy detailing his plans to attack the protagonist.

2. A speech or written discourse in this form.