Artwork Section, F.A.Q.

Discussion in 'Artwork' started by Jess, Jul 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jess Admin

Frequently Asked Questions~

A thread to answer some of questions and queries that often crop up. If you need anything elaborated, or have a question that isn't answered here, please approach myself, Jess, or another member of the Design Team. We're here to answer your technical, technique and design oriented questions!
    I'm also here to answer any other questions you may have. Now · · · · ·

Some useful links,
    · · · · ·

The Artwork Section

Q: What goes in the Artwork Section?
    A: Illustrations, videos, graphics work, music, etc - anything that's creative. Within the main Artwork forum, digital work is mostly exhibited. Classical Artwork is a subforum that holds analogue & handmade work.

Q: What goes in Classical Artwork?
    A: Anything that is analogue / handmade. Illustration, drawing, painting, traditional photography, sculpture, etc.

Q: What is a signature?
    A: Nowadays, when one says signature, they're referring to a piece of graphic art that is put in the signature block using HTML/IMG code. It appears under every post they make, thus acting as a sort of signature to their posts. Alternatively called a tag.

Q: What programs do you recommend?
    A: The Adobe Photoshop is generally the most popular and considered the more professional option, though it is the most expensive.

However, there are free programs, GIMP and Paint.NET, which are downloadable from their websites. These are often considered just as good as the real thing, especially to start off with -- they have similar tools as Photoshop and thus get the user used to working digitally without costing a fortune.

Some people use the default Windows program MS Paint, though this is a program that is mainly looked down upon in signature use because of it's lack of dynamics.

Q: Where can I find a tutorial?
    A: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=photoshop signature tutorials for beginners
    Alternatively, we have a collection of tutorials created by the members of this forum, which can be found here.

· · · · ·

The Design Team

Q: What is the Design Team?
    A: The Design Team is a group of individuals on this forum who are skilled in the art of making tags/signatures, avatars, other graphics & art. We are a team, and our aim is to fulfill graphic requests made by any member, as well as to inspire and help those who may want to get involved in graphics.

Q: Who a part of the Design Team?
    A: The design team is identified by gorgeous purple usernames*
    Jess, Imperious, RO, DropDeadd, & Infel.
    *excluding Jess, ofc.

Q: How can I be part of the Design Team?
    A: Show your potential, and then when spaces open up on the team you can either apply via an Application Thread, or the team will ask you via PM to join!

Q: How can I request a signature/avatar from the Design Team?
    A: Go here to make a request!
    Simply make a NEW THREAD with the Request Package and one of the members of the Design Team will pick it up and make it for you (unless otherwise specified).

· · · · ·

Jargon & terminology

Q: What is a C4D?
    A: A C4D is a 3d image that can be used to enhance Signatures with a bit more detail, or different colours unobtainable by brushing alone. They're generally abstracts, and are always 3d in feel. They are created in the program of the same name, 'Cinema 4D'.

Q: What is a brush?
    A: A brush is something that can be used on a canvas of a painting program (Photoshop, etc) you use, it can be something from as simple as a circle, to something more complex like Splatter, or Grunge. Designers use brushes to add different textures & effects in their work; they are commonly used within tags.

Q: How do I get the brushes to my program?
    A: Once you have downloaded them, you will need to move them onto the folder of the program you use, and then move them to the brushes folder, which is usually labelled "Brushes" then load up your program again.

Q: Wheres a good place to download brushes?
    A: There are many good places, the widest selection is probably on dA - The Keywords to finding brushes are your program name (Photoshop, GIMP, etc), the style of brush (Grunge, Splatter, etc) and, the keyword, brush.

Q: What is a filter?
    A: A filter is another way of editing an image. They are effects that can be applied to an image on Photoshop or an alternative program. o, Filters. Thinking about them just reminds me of when I first started using Photoshop. I overwhelmed everything I made with filters. They work best in moderation, but you'll only be able to work that out with experimenting with them!

Q: Is my signature / tag / avatar good?
    A: That is simply matter of opinion -- post it in the Artwork section and get some feedback!

Q: What is C&C?
    A: C&C stands for Comments, Critique, and Criticism. If somebody asks for this on a piece of their artwork, they're asking for an honest response to their artwork, with insight into how they could improve it.
    A more in-depth explanation can be found here.

Q: What does that Please Critique! thing mean?
    A: This prefix is used on threads to not only distinguish them as artwork threads, but also to ensure that people who reply are aware that they want C&C rather than a bland, superficial response.

Q: What is 'bg'?
    A: 'bg' is simply for Background. This is both first layer that you work with, and what is behind a focal point in an image.

Q: In Photoshop, how do I get a transparent background?
    A: Click for a new layer, and then hide the first (usually white) layer. The grey and white squares indicate transparency; they will not be there once saved as a .png or .gif. Alternatively, change the background setting from White when creating a new document.

Q: What is a 'render'?
    A: A render is a pre-cut image of something that can be used in a signature, or other piece of graphics. Slang, realistically.

Q: Where do I get 'renders'?
    A: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=planet render

Q: What's a 'stock'?
    A: A stock image is a slang term to describe the focal point / image in a signature or LP. In actual graphics terms, a "stock image" is an image that is created to be bought or used freely by designers.

Q: How do I cut a render myself?
    A: There a few ways to do this;
    · you can make a selection via tolerance using brush tools, and the Magic Wand tool.
    · to use the Pen Tool to draw a selection. This is a better method, and gives a cleaner result, although it requires more skill.

Q: How do I install a font under Windows?
    A:
    · Under Windows Vista:
    Select the font files (.ttf, .otf or .fon) then Right-click > Install.

· Under any version of Windows:
    Place the font files (.ttf, .otf or .fon) into the Fonts folder, usually C:\Windows\Fonts or C:\WINNT\Fonts
    (can be reached as well by the Start Menu > Control Panel > Appearance and Themes > Fonts).

Note that with the internal unzip tool of Windows (unlike Winzip), you cannot install a font by a simple drag and drop of the .ttf from the zip window to the Fonts window. You must first drag and drop it anywhere (for example on the desktop) then in the Fonts folder.
    You can also go through : File > Install a new font... in the Fonts folder menu then browse the fonts, instead of drag and drop the fonts into the window. Although this method is laborious, it would seem that it functions better in certain cases.

Q: How to install a font under Mac OS?
    A:
    Mac OS X recognizes TrueType and OpenType fonts (.ttf and .otf) but not the PC bitmap fonts (.fon).
    Files are compressed, you may need an utility like Stuffit Expander.

· Under Mac OS X:
    Put the files into /Library/Fonts (for all users),
    or into /Users/Your_username/Library/Fonts (for you only).
    If your OS includes the Font Book, you can as well double-click on a font file, then a preview pops up with an "Install font" button.

· Under Mac OS 9 or less:
    The old Mac fonts are not supported anymore at dafont. First, you have to convert the font files (.ttf or .otf) you have downloaded.
    Then drag the fonts suitcases into the System folder. The system will propose you to add them to the Fonts folder.

Q: How to install a font under Linux?
    A: Copy the font files (.ttf or .otf) to fonts:/// in the File manager.

· · · · ·

Hopefully this has been helpful for you, if you have any other questions, don't be afraid to ask me!

P.S. Lose the text, noobs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.